Berkeh Bi Sahel English Text
In the name of the Creator of Ghadir
In order to make all aware of the message,
the present should inform the absent about this passage,
this sermon, and this event should be passed on in succession,
from parents to their offspring, till the day of resurrection.
The entire chain of teachings put forward by religion, which guide the human being in thought and deeds and leads him to the final goal of creation, i.e., obedience before God, comprises the following essential rings:
• The ring of Belief
• The ring of Ethics
• The ring of Jurisprudence and the duties of people
In the ring of belief, the first and the foremost principle is monotheism which is entrenched with the human souls and our innate nature:
“And in your own souls; will you not then see?” (Dhāriāt (51) / 21)
“Their messengers said: "Is there a doubt about Allah, The Creator of the heavens and the earth?” (Ibrāhīm (14) / 10)
Throughout centuries, humans have maintained this divine gift thanks to the reminding of prophets and their successors and have been loyal to and acted upon its consequences. However, after the demise of a prophet, and forgetting about his successor and his will, this innate nature was afflicted by polytheism and idol worshiping, and therefore the succeeding prophets carried on to remind, teach and cleanse the people again.
The Holy Prophet of Islam (peace be upon him & his progeny), who is the last prophet, and Quran, which is the last divine book, should also lay the foundations of monotheism. The most important factor in maintaining and nurturing this belief, after the announcement and declaration of the prophet, is the attitude and the approach of people towards his successor. This is why, the beloved Prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) nurtured his successor in his house with his endless kindness; the Prophet raised his successor to follow his morality and his deeds; he kept him in his accompany since the very beginning of his appointment until his demise.
The Prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) emphasized on two principles since the first moments of his appointment:
• Monotheisms and obedience to Allah, exalted is His glory,
• Appointing and introducing Ali (peace be upon him) and his following successors. Going along this purpose, the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) highlighted the attributes and characteristics of his successor including his knowledge, morality, infallibility, braveness and care during the twenty three years of his prophethood until the last moments of his life, when he said: “Bring me a pen and a piece of paper, to write a thing for you so that you will not go astray.” And according to established reasons and reliable evidences, he (peace be upon him & his progeny) intended to write his everlasting will, but they prevented him and did not let a single word to be stated; even if he wrote, they would deny his words and would call them delusive. (As some did say that he is in a state of delirium.)
Two months before his demise, the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) announced that this is near the end of his life and he intends to go on the farewell pilgrimage, hence, anyone who wishes may accompany him in this journey in order to address the two important issues of pilgrimage and succession after his demise. According to the history and traditions, around one hundred twenty thousand people took part in this ritual. From the beginning of the journey, the Holy Prophet made preparations to announce the authority of Amir Al-Mo’menin Ali (peace be upon him), delivered speeches in Mecca, Mena and Khif mosque and made some mentions of this issue, and then, it was time to announce his divine duty evidently.
After performing the pilgrimage, the holy prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) received the command to leave Mecca, therefore he invited the pilgrims to depart from Mecca with him. Then, he gathered the crowd in “Johfa” near “Ghadir Khom” and after saying the midday and evening prayers on Monday 18th Dhilhajjah, he commanded to make a stand and a shade. The prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) went on the stand while Imam Ali (peace be upon him) was standing on his right and delivered a speech for more than an hour. Then after the speech, people pledged allegiance to the prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) and Imam Ali (peace be upon him); this ceremony took three days.
This speech, known as “The Sermon of Ghadir”, compromises the following issues:
This sermon is a comprehensive course of Islamic studies from the principle of monotheism to the fundamentals of ethics to jurisprudence and the duties of people.
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the principle of knowing God, and the succession of Imam Ali (peace be upon him) and the following infallible Imams from his descendants has been repeatedly emphasized.
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the companionship between Quran and the household of the prophet (peace be upon him) has been highlighted.
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the continuation of leadership (Imamat) until the Day of Judgment has been declared.
In this sermon, the characteristics and the principles of the government of Mahdi (May Allah hasten his reappearance) has been concisely stated.
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the hypocrites and those who insult Islam were mentioned but due to the nobility of the Holy Prophet (PBUH&HP), there names and roots were not stated.
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, some hundred verses of Quran have been interpreted to Imam Ali (peace be upon him) and his descendants and followers, on one hand and to his enemies and opponents, on the other hand.
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the oath of allegiance has been taken from people in words regarding the succession of Imam Ali (peace be upon him) and also by shaking hands with the prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) and Imam Ali (peace be upon him).
In “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) has stated more that two hundred virtues from the virtues of Imam Ali (peace be upon him).
He (peace be upon him & his progeny), in “The Sermon of Ghadir”, declared his divine mission in announcing the authority (wilayat) of Imam Ali(peace be upon him) and his infallible offspring.
In delivering “The Sermon of Ghadir”, the holy prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) made use of psychological points, he involved the audience and warned them; therefore, he used the term “ O’ people” and “O’ Beware” have been used, respectively, 57 and 51 times in this speech.
The most significant point of this sermon in terms of spreading the word and publicizing it is an extraordinary command in the 6th part where he (peace be upon him & his progeny) says:
“Thus, those present today, should make this news known to those who are absent, that is, fathers (should tell it to) their sons, until the Day of Judgment.”
He also says:
“The greatest act of goodness is to understand deeply what I have just expressed and to relay this to those who have not been present here today, and to invite them to accept this from me, and to forbid them to oppose or object to me.”
From the attitude and approach of the Prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) towards this event, it is clear that he (peace be upon him & his progeny) aimed the event of Ghadir to be an open culture, so that, people know and refer to the successor of the prophet (peace be upon him & his progeny) and the Imam appointed by God and accept him as their master, in order to protect their monotheism and their religion.
And today, in the 21st century, amidst the flood of ideas and the return of extinct religions and the crowd of hollow and deceiving believes, Shia has to get to know itself once more, to return to the insightful ocean of this historical sermon, to create a new culture based on it, and to advance in the path to prosperity. The following are a few practical tips in this regard:
1. Encouraging the youth to memorize the content of this sermon by giving out prizes such as (partial) support for pilgrimage to the shrine of Imam Husain (peace be upon him) in Karbala.
2. Reciting The Sermon of Ghadir, or even short passages of it, in religious meetings and gatherings.
3. Reciting this sermon in marriage ceremonies in order to pass its divine message through the next generations.
4. Placing a volume of The Sermon of Ghadir alongside the Holy Quarn in the marriage-portion in order to respond to the Prophet’s (peace be upon him & his progeny) call in the tradition of “Hadith Thaghalain”.
5. Publishing this sermon and its related books and giving it as a gift to people.
6. Designing decorative objects with the calligraphy of phrases of The Sermon of Ghadir.
7. Teaching the content and the related subjects/issues of The Sermon of Ghadir at schools, universities and seminaries.
8. Presenting The Sermon of Ghadir as the subject of researches and bachelor, master and doctoral theses in the related disciplines such as the History of Islam, Hadith Studies and Islamic Studies.
9. Organizing lectures by scholars on the ethical and belief-related issues of The Sermon of Ghadir
10. Translating this sermon (or parts of it) into various different languages and presenting them on websites.
11. Preparing books regarding The Sermon of Ghadir and giving them as gifts to the guests in wedding ceremonies or treats after returning from hajj.
12. Introducing cultural and decorative products about The Sermon of Ghadir to companies and businesses in order to distribute them among their employees, representatives and customers.
13. Designing children and teenager books regarding The Sermon of Ghadir.
14. Making films, animation and clips on the verses and the subjects posed in The Sermon of Ghadir.
15. Sending out short text message with passages of the sermon on different religious occasions.
16. Introducing The Sermon of Ghadir as a reliable and original source for researches on the subjects of monotheism (oneness of God), prophethood , leadership (of the twelve infallible Imams) and “Mahdawiyat” (the belief in Imam Mahdi (Peace Be Upon Him))
17. Introducing and presenting The Sermon of Ghadir to the public particularly by the youth.
18. Encouraging people to make a religious vow to recite The Sermon of Ghadir in order for their calls to be granted by God.
19. Making CDs and cassettes from The Sermon of Ghadir.
20. Composing poems, chants and literary works from The Sermon of Ghadir.
21. Teaching short passages of the sermon to children and encouraging them to memorize the content, translation and conceptions of The Sermon of Ghadir.
22. Producing works of art such as paintings, graphics, visual arts and calligraphy based on the text and concepts of The Sermon of Ghadir
23. Composing songs and performances about the content of The Sermon of Ghadir and the related subjects.
And at the end, blessings and glad tidings to those who advocate this sermon, who will be the subject of the holy verse of Quran:
“O’ you who believe! if you help (the cause of) Allah, He will help you and make firm your feet.” (Muhammad (47) / 7)
and the granted call of the Holy Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him & His Progeny):
“(O’Allah) aid those who aid him (Amir al-Momenin (peace be upon him))”,
that they will be especially blessed by God and the Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him & His Progeny); God willing.
The praise is God’s, Who let us among the adherer to the authority of
Amir Al-Mu’minin Ali ibn Abi-Talib
The waves of misery are rising from the oceans,
The showers of wrath are falling from the heavens,
But a lonely light is glooming, while heresy overwhelms our night,
The only supporter of the divine religion, he is appearing in sight…